Friday, June 5, 2009

One of These Things is Not Like the Other...

When Sara was born, I thought I knew exactly what to expect. I knew how Liam was and how he behaved, and assumed Sara would be somewhat similar.

They do both have most of the same body parts, but the similarities just about end there. Liam is my blue-eyed, light haired rational child who was always right at my side. Sara is my brown-eyed, brown-haired independent go-go-go child. But she does it all with this incredible smile and laugh that just take you in.


We moved into our current home when Liam was about two years old. I wasn't worried that there were no doors on any of our cupboards, because I knew Liam would never get into anything without checking with me first.

Sara empties out these same cupboards on a daily basis, even though they do now have cupboard doors.

On the rare occasion that we had to tell Liam "no" to anything, we knew he'd never try it again.


We tell Sara "no" and apparently that means just run in the opposite direction and keep doing what you're doing until Mom catches you and takes it away.

When Liam had a sippy cup as a toddler, he would return it to a table when he was done with it. Sara drops it in mid-sip and keeps walking.


Our phone rang yesterday afternoon, and Liam and I scrambled to find it before voicemail picked up. We tracked the sounds to the kitchen, and lo and behold, our garbage can was ringing. Just below the green bean too-old leftovers I'd just tossed out. Want to guess how it got there?


Can't wait for the teenage years!

4 comments:

Stephana said...

lol....sooooo cute!!

Snow Mommy said...

Sorry, I knew you were bound to find out that Liam is just not a normal kid! At least you didn't get twins! :)

Tiff said...

HaHa, Holly!

That is too funny. I really wonder what these kids will turn out like as they get older!

jan in nagasaki said...

my first kid was TROUBLE (with a capital T) from day one... into EVERYTHING... I thought he was going to give his grandpa (Hillestad) a heart attack when we visited... it's a huge miracle that i even had more kids.... funny how they all have such different personalities....

you, erin, when I babysat you 3 decades ago, were a perfect little angel...

sadly, it's very possible she won't outgrow her ways... mine hasn't, anyway...